On December 9, President Jonathan signed the National Health Bill into law. The Act provides a framework for the regulation, development and management of a National Health system. Key provisions include:
- Creation of new health agencies such as the National Council on Health and the National Tertiary Hospitals Commission
- Establishment of the Primary Healthcare Development Fund, financed through a 1% deduction from Nigeria’s Consolidated Revenue Fund and support from international donors
- Mandates the provision of emergency care and penalizes refusal with a N10,000 fine plus/or an imprisonment term of 3 months
- Prohibits discrimination in healthcare provision
- Prohibits government funding for civil servants to seek healthcare abroad
Click here to download a copy of the Bill.